Nathan Garber, B.A., M.L.I.S|
Principal Consultant, Nathan Garber & Associates
CONSULTING & TRAINING
- Provided a wide range of management, planning, and
governance consulting services to nonprofit organizations since 1986.
See below for a list of clients.
- Instructor for National Certificate Program in
Voluntary & Non-Profit Sector Management, 1991-1999.
- Instructor for Diploma in
Nonprofit Management and
Diploma Program in Arts Management, University of Western Ontario.
- Editor-in-Chief, Nonprofit Boards & Governance
Review (2000-2003). a biweekly electronic newsletter with more than 9,000 subscribers.
- Designed and delivered workshops in management,
governance, financial management, evaluation, and planning for a wide range of
national, provincial, and local organizations.
- Coordinated the Volunteer Leadership Development
Program for five United Ways in London-Middlesex, and Elgin, Oxford, Huron, and
- Co-developed and delivered programs to train
community interpreters for work in health, legal, education, and social service
settings. Presented these programs to trainers from many cities in Ontario.
- Delivered workshops on John Carver’s Policy
Governance Model through the University of Western Ontario Faculty of Part-Time
- Organized professional development workshops for ten
Ontario public library systems.
- Designed and delivered training programs in
word-processing, spreadsheet, and database software.
- Moderator of internet discussion groups through
CharityChannel.com on governance and leadership in the non-profit sector.
- Advisor to a rural development / vocational training
project in northern Botswana.
- Achievement in Motion (Kitchener)
- Advanced Agricultural Leadership Program
- Alzheimer Society of London & Middlesex
- Anago Resources
- Association for the Elimination of Hate & Bias
- Association of Fundraising Professionals (Ottawa)
- Big Sisters Association of Ontario
- Brantford Cultural Network
- Canadian Association of Gift Planners
- Canadian Crossroads International
- Canadian Mental Health Association (Elgin)
- Canadian Nature Federation (Ottawa)
- Canwest DHI
- Carolinian Canada
- Centre for Rural Leadership
- CharityChannel LLC
- Children’s Aid Society (Simcoe)
- Community Care Access Centre (Haldimand-Norfolk)
- Cooperative Telephone Companies Association
- Craigwiel Services (Ailsa Craig)
- Crest Centre
- Domestic Assault Review Team (Oxford County)
- Durham Hospice
- Federation of Ontario Naturalists (Toronto)
- Goodwill Industries Association
- Haldimand-Norfolk District Health Council
- Hate Crime & Bias Activity Steering Committee (London)
- Huron-Perth Centre for Children & Youth
- Independent Living Service Providers
- International Medical Graduates
- Literacy Link South-Central
- London Arts Council
- London Humane Society
- London Interfaith Counselling Centre
- London Military Family Resource Centre
- London Occupational Safety & Health Information Service
- London Regional Fundraising Executives
- London Somali Association
- Madame Vanier Children’s Services
- Making Gains Conference, 2004
- Military Family Resource Centre (London)
- Multicultural & Anti-Racism Organizational Change Project
- Muskoka Victim Services
- My Friend's House (Collingwood)
- Nokee Kwe Occupational Skill Development Inc.
- Oxford Child and Youth Centre
- Professional Administrators of Volunteer Resources - Ontario
- Ontario Land Trust Alliance
- Ontario Library Service - Thames
- Public General Hospital (Chatham)
- Quill Learning Network (Walkerton)
- Reforest London
- St. Leonard’s Society (London)
- St. Joseph’s Health Care
- St. Mary’s Youth Centre
- SARI Therapeutic Riding
- Seeds of Diversity (Canada)
- South London Minor Sports Association
Sustainability Network (Canada)
Thalia Women’s Retreat Centre
Thames Talbot Land Trust
Threads of Life Canada
Timiskiming Child Care (Early Years Centre)
Town & Country Support Services
Training Board, Bruce Grey Huron Perth Georgian
United Way of Chatham-Kent
United Way of London & Middlesex
Unity Project for the Relief of Homelessness
University of Western Ontario
Victim Services of Huron County
Victim Services of Oxford County
Voluntary Sector Initiative (London)
West Elgin Community Health Centre
Women Immigrants of London
Women's Centre of Grey-Bruce
Women’s Community House (London)
Women’s Rural Resource Centre (Strathroy)
Women's Shelter of Huron
PUBLICATIONS & PAPERS
Nonprofit Management & Governance
Five Models of Governance in The Book of the Board: Effective Governance
of Non Profit Organisations. David Fishel, ed. ( Annandale NSW Australia:
The Federation Press) 2002.
Seven Questions You Should Ask Before Joining a Board. Nonprofit Boards
& Governance Review. July 11, 2002
What EXACTLY is the Board’s Job. Nonprofit Boards & Governance
Review. Feb. 28, 2002. republished in The Canadian Association.
A Good Board That Won’t Give. The Art of the Story: Case Studies from
the Nonprofit Boardroom Betsy Rosenblatt, ed. (Washington D. C. National
Center for Nonprofit Boards) 2000
Five Governance Models: What’s Right for Your Organization
Standards of Practice for Community Interpreters Public Domain, July,
The Role of the Nominating Committee. Boardroom Intelligence Vol. 4,
No. 14, (1999): pp. 1-21
The Role of the Nominating Committee. Not-For-Profit Board Overhaul:
Second Annual Congress for Not-For-Profit Governance. Toronto, Federated
Community Interpretation & Translation
Community Interpreting: A Personal View. The Critical Link 2: Interpreters
in the Community (Amsterdam. John Benjamins) 2000
Obtaining Evaluative Feedback from Non-English Speakers (with Louise
Mauffette-Leenders), The Critical Link: Interpreters in the Community.
Amsterdam. (Amsterdam: John Benjamins) 1997
Interpreting for General Welfare Assistance and Family Benefits: Instructor’s
Manual. with Louise Mauffette-Leenders. (Toronto:Ontario Ministry of
Cultural Interpreter Training Program: Instructor’s Manual. with Louise
Mauffette-Leenders. (London: London Ontario: London Cultural Interpretation
Cultural Interpretation in the Health Care System. a paper presented to
the Canadian Council on Multicultural Health. Whistler B.C. 1992
Automation of a Community Information Database.
Alliance of Information & Referral Systems. (1985.)
Author or editor/compiler of the following periodical publications from
1979-85: Finding Your Way: a Guide for Widows Directory of Community
Services, Directory of Services for Disabled Persons, Home Support Services for
Elderly Persons, Directory of Services Relating to Sexual Abuse, Directory of
Marriage and Family Counselling Services, Information London (a weekly
RECENT PRESENTATIONS & WORKSHOPS
- Preparing Persuasive Proposals
- If Only I Had Known BEFORE I joined the Board!
- We’ve Got to Stop Meeting Like This! How to Have Effective Board and
- Evaluating the Executive Director: The Board’s Least Favourite Job.
- The Roles and Responsibilities of the Board of Directors: An Introduction to
- The State of the Nonprofit Sector in Canada.
- Governance Models: What’s Right for Your Organization?
- What Does Your Organization Need from Its Board?
- Program Logic Models: An Introduction.
- Recruiting, Training, and Evaluating the Board of Directors.
- An Introduction to Strategic Planning.
for Certificate Programs in Voluntary &
Non-Profit Sector Management.
- Executive Director, Across Languages Translation & Interpretation
- Achieved international reputation for innovation and
effectiveness in service delivery, training, standards and quality control of
interpreter/translator service with more than 100 interpreters covering 40
languages. Initiated and served on organizing committee of three international
conferences on Interpreting in Health, Legal, and Social Service Settings.
Keynote speaker for second conference.
- Trainer /Consultant, Canadian Crossroads International, Botswana, Africa (Volunteer:
- Advised manager of a rural development / vocational
training project in northern Botswana.
- Instructor, University of Western Ontario, Faculty of Part-Time & Continuing Education(1992-present)
- Designed and taught courses
Computing Consultant & Librarian, UWO Graduate School of Library & Information Science
Instructor, Fanshawe College Library Technician program (Part-time 1990-92)
- Employment Initiatives Co-ordinator, Ontario Ministry of Community &
Social Services (1985-86).
- Managed programs to employ social assistance
recipients and disabled youth. Evaluated community-based projects providing
life-skills training, residential care, and employment services for unemployed
- Executive Director Information London (1979-85)
- Established Information London as leader and
innovator in both service and technology. Co-designed and introduced the first
microcomputer-based database management system in North America.
- Project Officer, Canada Employment & Immigration Commission (1977-79)
Project Officer, Secretary of State Canada (1972-75)
- Implemented and evaluated employment and community
development programs in Southwestern Ontario. Developed and delivered training
programs in project design, project management, and accounting for approximately
200 program managers in Ontario.
M.L.I.S. (Master of Library and Information Science), University of Western
B.A. University of Western Ontario, 1972. Honours standing in Political
Continuing education in many areas including: adult education, facilitation
techniques, public administration, accounting, personnel management, computer
programming, fund-raising, strategic planning, community development.
- Alliance for Nonprofit Management
- BoardSource (National Centre for Nonprofit Boards)
- Association For Research on Nonprofit Organizations
and Voluntary Action
- Canadian Evaluation Society
- London Regional Fund Raising Executives
- Association of Community Information Centres of Ontario (1982-85)
Canadian Crossroads International, London Committee (1991-present)
- Centre for Research on Violence Against Women & Children: Board of
- Federation of Ontario Naturalists: Board of Directors (1982-86)
- International Conference on Community Interpreting: Organizing Committee
- London Coordinating Committee to End Women Abuse (1995-2002)
- Long Point Bird Observatory: Board of Directors (1985-87).
- McIlwraith Field Naturalists of London: Board member and President (1981-86,
- Neighbourhood Legal Services Planning Committee (1983-85)
- Networking for an Inclusive Community:
- Sunfest Arts and Culture Committee: Volunteer (1997-present)
- University of Western Ontario, Schulich
School of Medicine: Admissions Interviewer (2002-present)
AWARDS AND ACHIEVEMENTS
- John Robinson Award, 1999. Awarded by the London Coordinating Committee to
End Woman Abuse for contributions towards the reduction of violence against
- Keynote speaker for Critical Link 2: Second International Conference on
Interpreting in Health, Legal, and Social Service Settings (1998).
- Certificate of Appreciation for Significant Contributions to Canadian
Crossroads International (1999).